It’s only 4 weeks into school and I’m already procrastinating on school work. Does anyone else ever do that? I’ve done that with my online class, Literature class and Research Methods. I’m glad I decided to get ahead in my classes for that reason. Usually I study on the weekends, but this past week my friend had broken up with her boyfriend, which I thought would be a good opportunity to go to the State Fair, ya know to distract her and cheer her up. Considering I had already bought tickets for my boyfriend and I, and I knew she had gotten tickets for herself, I didn’t want them to go to waste in case we didn’t get another chance to get out to the Fair.
So we went this last Saturday and got there early so we could beat the traffic in the buildings and with parking, and made sure to leave at a decent time before it got too late. When we first got there, I was hoping that the Fair would be a great distract for her, with us keeping so busy and I was right….for the most part, aside from a friend of hers. We had so much fun between walking through the buildings, looking at the butter sculpture, eating lunch and going on some rides of course!! By the time we left, she was exhausted and ended up having an amazing time with us.
My advice to you (in case you didn’t think about something like this for your friends), if they have a fight with their boyfriend, find out their boyfriend/girlfriend is cheating on them, or a break up happened…..do the following.
- If they end up calling you….go hang out with them, even if you have homework! That homework can wait a couple hours or another day.
- Talk to them face to face. Yes, I know every Millennium’s prefer to text, but it isn’t the same. You need to connect with your friend, and nothing is better than hearing right what they think about the situation. When you text, it takes a bit for one of them to reply or they may not come across in the tone you want to hear. We all know those texts, where you think it reads one way but the other person could see it as a rude or snobbiest kind of text. So don’t text. Call them, listen and just be there for them.
- If you want to be a really good friend, drive to Dollar Tree and get a basket of various snacks, toys and anything else you can find that would be funny and take it to their house! Nothing better than driving over there personally with a basket full of junk to be there for your friend.
- Take them to a Spa Day or a Movie Friend-Date. Either of these will be a great option and get the break-up or problem with their partner off their mind, even if it’s only for a while.
- Lastly, again…just be there for your friend, listen and help when they want some advice or something to get it off their mind. Like in my instance, my friend had so much fun at the fair and we can’t wait to go next year already!!!
So when you have a friend that has some relationship problems, had a break-up, got cheated on or anything else that could happen that they might need some cheering up…..take the time out of your day and support them. Now a days, I know a lot of people our age don’t do that, but I hope that this will make some, if not everyone, make the effort to be a good friend and go out of their way to help their friends, no matter what.
From the Ashes,
The Rising Phoenix